On April 18, 1898, the State of Illinois issued a Not-for-Profit Charter to the Gads Hill Social Settlement. The mission of the Settlement stated:
The object shall be to improve the living conditions of the neighborhood and to assist and stimulate the people of the district through education, helpful recreation, wholesome social intercourse, and neighborly cooperation thus, promoting temperance, happiness, mutual goodwill, higher ideals and better American citizenship.
The name was changed to Gads Hill Center in 1916.
The Chicago community of Pilsen has an ethnically rich and diverse history. The Irish and Germans were the first to occupy the neighborhood, arriving after the Chicago fire of 1871. Czechs, Bohemians, Lithuanians, Poles and Italians followed settling in the neighborhood at the turn of the 20th Century. Since World War II, Pilsen has welcomed Latino immigrants, mainly of Mexican origin.
Gads Hill Center has been a constant in the community throughout its history; however, its services are constantly evolving in response to community need.
More than 100 Years at Gads Hill Center (click on the links below)